June 10, 2016
Posted In: Alumni Headlines, ASHS, Athletic Training
Wednesday, June 22
Ian McLeod, PA-C, ATC. Thinking Ahead to Post-Surgical Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Complications, in BCC, Room 307, 4:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 23
Feature Presentation – Transforming Athletic Health Care Through Quality Improvement, in BC, Room 318, 8:15 a.m.-10:15a.m.
- Eric Sauers, PhD, ATC, FNATA. The Need for Transformation in Athletic Health Care
- Alison Valier, PhD, ATC, FNATA. Defining and Measuring Quality Improvement in Athletic Health Care
- Andrea Diniz Lopes, DSc. Implementing Quality Improvement Strategies in Athletic Health Care
Session: Outcome Assessments: Evidence-Based Education, Educational Stakeholders, Continuous Quality Advancement, in BCC, Room 309, 10:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Cailee Welch, PhD, ATC. Assessing Educational Outcomes for Continuous Quality Advancement
Friday, June 24
Feature Presentation – Concussion: A Public Health Issue, in BCC, Ballroom III, 9:15 a.m.-11:15 a.m.
- Tamara Valovich McLeod, PhD, ATC, FNATA. Using a Public Health Framework to Foster Concussion Awareness and PreventionJavier Cardenas, MD. Concussion Education: Is It Promoting Change?
- Cailee Welch, PhD, ATC. Tackling Concussion and Academic Accommodations Through an Interprofessional Collaborative Approach: Tips and Strategies to Improve Management and Care
- Kenneth Lam, ScD, ATC. Integrating Patient-Rated Outcome Measures into Routine Patient Care: Overcoming Common Challenges and Barriers, in BCC, Room 308, 9:15-10:15am
Session: Strategies Clinicians Utilize to Advance Critical Thinking and Clinical Reasoning Skills in Athletic Training, in Hyatt, Constellation Ballroom, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- Barton Anderson, DHSc, AT, ATC. Situated Learning Theory and Communities of Practice in Athletic Training
FREE COMMUNICATION PRESENTATIONS
Oral Session: Medical Care Services in the Secondary School Setting, in BCC, Room 316, 9:00 a.m.-10:15 a.m.
- Javier Cardenas, Valovich McLeod. Emergency Preparedness of Secondary School Athletic Programs
Rapid Fire Oral Session: The Mind Matters: Psychosocial Factors of Injury, in BCC, Room 317, 8:45 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
- Alyssa Wagner, Welch Bacon, Parsons, Valovich McLeod. Adolescent Athlete’s Perceptions of Health-Related Quality of Life Immediately Following a Sport-Related Concussion
Oral Session: Understanding the Throwing Athlete, in BCC, Room 315, 10:00 a.m.-10:15 a.m.
- Nick Metz, Huxel Bliven, Bay, Sauers. The Relationship Between Pitching Participation and Volume Variables on the Functional Arm Scale for Throwers© (FAST©) Scores in Baseball Pitchers
Rapid Fire Oral Session: Developing Advanced Clinical Practice, in BCC, Room 317, 10:15 a.m.-11:15 a.m.
- Eric Sauers, Anderson, Welch Bacon. Athletic Trainers’ Perceptions of the Primary Characteristics of Clinicians Engaged in Advanced Clinical Practice
- Bart Anderson, Sauers, Welch Bacon. A Preliminary Survey to Explore How Athletic Trainers Define Advanced Clinical Practice
Saturday, June 25
Session: Clinical Reasoning & Research Evidence: How Good Decisions Are Really Made, in BCC, Room 345, 1:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m.
- R. Curtis Bay, PhD. Clinical Decisions: How Evidence Really Informs Practice
FREE COMMUNICATION PRESENTATIONS
Rapid Fire Oral Session: Put it Into Practice: What Athletic Trainers Really Do, in BCC, Room 317, 10:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Kellie Huxel Bliven, Lam, Snyder Valier. Orthopedic Special Tests Used by Athletic Trainers in Diagnosing Glenohumeral Dislocations and Subluxations: A Report from the Athletic Training Practice-Based Research Network
- Christine Nelson, Valier, Bliven, Lam. Practice Patterns of Athletic Trainers Who Diagnose Knee Sprains: A Report from the AT-PBRN
D. Mitchelle Gallegos, Lam, Snyder, Valier, Huxel Bliven. Use of Orthopedic Special Tests by Athletic Trainers Who Diagnose Acromioclavicular Sprains: A Report from the Athletic Training Practice-Based Research Network
- Alison Valier, Huxel Bliven, Lam. Common Orthopaedic Special Tests Used for Diagnosing Ankle Sprains in Athletes: A Report from the Athletic Training Practice-Based Research Network
Oral Session: Injury Surveillance, in BCC, Room 316, 12:15 p.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Kenny Lam, Valier, Bay. Changes in health Status Following Knee Injuries: A Report from the AT-PBRN
Rapid Fire Oral Session: School Personnel Concussion Knowledge and Interventions, in BCC, Room 317, 1:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Tricia Kasamatsu, Valovich McLeod, Register-Mihalik, Erickson, Johnson, Welch Bacon. Perceptions of Academic Adjustments Following Adolescent Concussion: Comparison of School Administrators With and Without Access to Athletic Trainers
- Tamara McLeod, Lewis, Whelihan, Welch Bacon. The Utilization and Effectiveness of Physical and Cognitive Rest Following Concussion: A Systematic Review of the Literature
- Cailee Welch Bacon, Weber, Kay, Williams, Valovich McLeod. A Comparison of Health Care Professionals’ Perceptions and Familiarity of Academic Adjustments for Adolescents Following a Concussion
- Casey Erickson, Kay, Weber, Valovich McLeod, Welch Bacon. School Nurses’ Perceptions of the Academic Management Team for Student-Athletes Following a Sport-Related Concussion
- Mica Sanchez, Cardenas, Welch Bacon, Valovich McLeod. Interscholastic Athletes Have Favorable Attitudes Towards Concussion Reporting Upon Completion of a Concussion Education Program
- Rachel Johnson, Valovich Mcleod, Kasamatsu, Register-Mihalik, Erickson, Welch Bacon. The Influence of Athletic Trainer Employment on Secondary School Administrators’ Perceived Knowledge, Confidence, and Importance of Adolescent Concussion
- Dayna Tierney, Kay, Weber, Valovich McLeod, Welch Bacon. School Nurses’ Perceived Role in Communication and Collaboration as a Member of the Concussion Management Team at the Secondary School Level
- Larynn Shumaker, Valovich McLeod, Kay, McLeod, Weber, Hixson, Keenan, Welch Bacon. Physician Assistants’ Familiarity and Perceptions of Academic Accommodations for Adolescent Athletes Following Sport-Related Concussion
Rapid Fire Oral Session: The PRO’s of Patient Reports Outcomes, in BCC, Room 317, 3:15 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Katie Harrington, Commonly Used Patient-Reported Outcome Measures in Athletic Training