Michael V. Altamura, DO, ’80, Scottsdale, Ariz., died Nov. 15, 2012.
Grant E. Atwell, DO, ’41, Meyersdale, Pa., died Jan. 16, 2013, at age 98. He was born Aug. 8, 1914, in Emlenton, Scrubgrass Township, in Venango County, son of the late James Edwin and Bess (Lyttle) Atwell. He was also preceded in death by his first wife, Louise (Snider) Atwell; brother Rev. Robert Atwell; and sisters Florence Zieger and Martha Jane Jessup. He is survived by his wife, Kay L. (Baker) Atwell; son Dr. Grant Atwell II; daughter Mary Alice Naragon (Robert); grandchildren Ryan A. Naragon (Kristin) and Ann Louise Naragon; and great-grandson Percy Naragon. Dr. Atwell is also survived by numerous step-daughters, step-sons, step-grandchilren, nieces, and nephews.
He graduated from Grove City High School at age 15; Grove City College, with a Bachelor of Science, and KCOM. Dr. Atwell interned at Baseline Rossman Hospital in Grove City (1941-42). He maintained an active practice in family medicine in Meyersdale (1942-86), during which time he delivered several thousand babies, with more than 2,000 home deliveries. He was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Meyersdale, where he was a member of the church council for many years and past lay president and teacher of the men’s Sunday school class.
Dr. Atwell was a member of Somerset County and the American Medical Associations for more than 50 years and a staff member of the former Meyersdale Community Hospital, being an honorary member at the time of his death. He also was a member of the Meyersdale Area School Board, serving as president (1956-66), and a member of the South Eastern Somerset County School Authority. Dr. Atwell was a member of several Masonic organizations, including Meyersdale Blue Lodge and Royal Arch Chapter, Harrisburg Consistory, Jaffa Shrine in Altoona, and formerly Knights of Templar, Uniontown.
Dr. Atwell was a charter member of the Meyersdale Lions Club, where he was honored as the Lions Citizen of the Year (2004), and the Meyersdale Elks Club. In his earlier years, he was a member of the Meyersdale Fire Department and Meyersdale Borough Council. Dr. Atwell loved to travel, play golf, solve jigsaw and crossword puzzles, and read.
“From the contagion of the world’s slow stain he is secure,” was one of Dr. Atwell’s favorite quotes. Memorials may be given in his name to the Louise S. Atwell Music scholarship fund, c/o Community Foundation for the Alleghenies, 116 Market St., Johnstown, PA 15901, or In-Touch Hospice, P.O. Box 1173, Somerset, PA 15501.
Donald C. Bergmann, DO, ’45, Coral Springs, Fla., died March 21, 2010.
Bryce D. Beyer, DO, ’73, Fort Worth, Texas, died Sept. 13, 2010, at age 64. Dr. Beyer was born Feb. 25, 1946, in Fort Worth to Dr. Daniel D. and Helen Hollowell Beyer. Raised in east Fort Worth, he graduated from Eastern Hills High School (1964) and received a degree in biology from the University of Texas at Arlington (1969). He then received his DO from KCOM. He interned at Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital.
Dr. Beyer practiced family medicine (1974-91) and became medical director at Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas (1991-2004). Dr. Beyer was the son of one of the three founding physicians of Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, now the University of North Texas Health Science Center. He was a longtime member of the House of Delegates to the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association.
Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Judy; daughter Angela Spears; son Chris Beyer (Lisa); sister Beth Beyer; grandchildren Julia and Colin Spears and Will and James Beyer; cousins Dr. David Beyer (Sally), Don Campbell (Doris), and Craig Campbell (Barbara); and brothers-in-law Don Thrash (Konnie) and Ron Thrash.
Donations may be made to Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine or Texas Health Presbyterian Foundation, 8440 Walnut Hill Ln., Suite 800LB6, Dallas, TX 75231.
Louis W. Brittingham Jr., DO, ’59, Lakebay, Wash., died Aug. 07, 2012, at age 80. Born April 13, 1932, the son of the late Louis and Eloise Brittingham, he was a graduate of Jefferson High School, Indiana University, and KCOM.
Surviving are children Joanie Keiser (Denny), John Brittingham (Lisa), Jim Brittingham, Tim Brittingham, Kathy Hiatt, Michael Brittingham, Robert Brittingham, and Daniel Brittingham; sisters Ann Shufelt and Verda Brittingham; sister-in-law Joyce Watterson; and grandchildren, nieces, and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Ethan (Dick) Brittingham.
Michael A. Brown, DO, ’80, Bettendorf, Iowa, died Jan. 12, 2013. Dr. Brown was born in 1950 in Davenport, Iowa, the son of Alvin and Dorothy Brown. He graduated from West High School (1968), Iowa State University (1974), and KCOM.
Dr. Brown was a general practitioner throughout his medical career, practicing in Tucson, Ariz.; Watervliet, Mich.; and Kansas City, Kan. He retired in 2000 for health reasons and moved back to the Quad Cities to be near family. He was a quiet, gentle man who loved his family. He was a great dog lover and rescued several throughout his life.
He is survived by his mother, Dorothy C. Brown; sister Linda K. Hirst; niece Ashley VanZetten (Brandon) and their children Aunya and Beahr; nephew Michael A. Hirst; and many cousins and extended family members. He was preceded in death by his father and stepmother, Alvin and Netta Brown, grandparents, two uncles, and an aunt.
Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association.
Allen H. Carothers, DO, ’71, Jackson, Mich., died March 2, 2013, at age 72. He is survived by two sons, Jon Carothers and Mathew Carothers; daughter Kara Lazroff (Kevin); ex-wife Christine Carothers; brother George Carothers, DO, ’67; sisters Kay Kampschulte and Ann Robbins (Ted); and several nieces and nephews.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army, serving in Korea. Dr. Carothers was a graduate of Michigan State University and KCOM. He practiced medicine in Michigan for many years and was an avid Detroit Tigers fan.
Contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, 16310 W. 12 Mile Rd., Southfield, MI 48076-2906.
Victor J. Cervenak, DO, ’48, Sterling Heights, Mich., died Dec. 20, 2012, at age 94. He was born March 7, 1918 and was the beloved husband of Katherine (nee Belicka), dearest father of Lori Renteria (Sabino), Marla Cervenak, Suzanne Forbes (Colin), and Mark Cervenak. He is survived by eight grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and one brother.
Denise M. Comerford, AuD, ’07, Princeville, Ill., died Sept. 20, 2012, at age 50. She was born April 9, 1962, in Chicago to Norbert and the late Gertrude (Karczynski) Jarocki.
She leaves behind husband Rex A. Comerford; daughter Carleigh Grace; two sisters, Caryn Jarocki and Audrey Haugan (Eric); brother Andrew Jarocki (Elizabeth); 14 nieces and nephews; two great nephews; and one great niece.
Dr. Comerford grew up in Schiller Park, Ill. She graduated from East Leyden High School (1980), Bradley University (1984), and Rush Presbyterian (1986). She received her AuD from ASHS in 2007. She was owner and founder of Sound Choice Hearing.
Dr. Comerford was a tri-athlete, a Girl Scout leader, on the board of directors of the Pekin Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the Parkview Ladies Golf League in Pekin, Ill. She was also a member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Kickapoo, Ill.
Memorials may be made to Starkey Hearing Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, or Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Terry L. Connor, DO, ’75, Scottsdale, Ariz., died Jan. 14, 2013, at age 63. Born April 22, 1949, to Richard and Pauline Connor, Dr. Connor graduated from KCOM and moved to West Linn and joined Dr. E.L. Burnham in a family practice in Gladstone (1976), continuing practice until 2006.
He was active in the osteopathic medical profession, serving as chief of staff of Eastmoreland Hospital and as a member of its board of directors. He was appointed by the governor of Oregon to serve as a member of the Board of Medical Examiners where he served for eight years and was chair (1994). He also was a member and co-president (2005-06) of NW Osteopathic Medical Foundation. Retiring from private practice (2006), he and his wife moved to Arizona to enjoy more golf and travel.
Dr. Connor is survived by his wife, Suzi, and their son, Kyle; siblings Larry (Susan), Dennis (MaryJane), Fred (Laura), and Tami (Al); and nephews and nieces.
Donations may be made to Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014, or Desert Botanical Garden, 1201 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85008.
Irvin J. Cramp, DO, ’84, Montgomery City, Mo., died Nov. 27, 2012, at age 56. Dr. Cramp was born March 13, 1956, in Reading, Pa., to Irvin Barry Cramp and Phyllis High Cramp. He graduated from Schuylkill Valley High School in Leesport, Pa. (1974). He then attended Kutztown University in Kutztown, Pa. (1978) and went to Kirksville to attend Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State University) and graduated with a BS in biology (1979). He worked at the Kirksville Osteopathic Health Center until entering KCOM (1980). Also in 1980, he joined the U.S. Naval Reserves and served 12 years, including four years as an aviation medical officer at NAS Whiting in Milton, Fla., and received an honorable discharge (1992). He moved to Milan, Mo., with Milan Family Practice and was there until 1995 when he moved to Montgomery City for 17 years.
Dr. Cramp was active in family medical practice for many years in Montgomery City and later in Vandalia, Mo. He was a member of the First United Methodist-Presbyterian Church in Montgomery City and enjoyed photography, boating, anything to do with the Civil War, antiques, brown bear hunting in Pennsylvania, skiing, hiking, and any new technology. He also enjoyed watching the History Channel, especially the TV show “Pawn Stars.” He loved spending time with his family and his many friends.
Dr. Cramp is survived by his wife, Cheryl Moore Cramp (Dr. Cramp and Cheryl were married Dec. 27, 1980, in Kirksville), and children Jerad, Nathan, and Allison Cramp. Also surviving is his brother, James Cramp (Carol); sister Amy Cramp; sisters-in-law Carol Barrickman and Debby Groeper (Jon); special aunt Barbara Saulter; uncle James H. High and aunt Jean Ruth; cousin Linda Clement; and many nieces, nephews, and friends.
Dr. Cramp was preceded in death by his parents, Irvin Barry and Phyllis Cramp; brother-in-law Tim Barrickman; aunt and uncle Helen and Ralph Huston; cousin Sue Lakin; and father-in-law Pearl Moore.
Memorial contributions are suggested to a Trust Fund for Allison Cramp’s Education, c/o Schlanker Funeral Home, 207 Danville Rd., Montgomery City, MO 63361.
Thomas W. Deurloo, DO, ’58, Stanton, Mich., died Feb. 5, 2012, at age 79. He was born Sept. 25, 1932, in Lansing, the son of Milton and Mabel (Carlisle) Deurloo. On June 16, 1957, he married the former P. Joan Swanson.
He graduated from Big Rapids High School (1950), the University of Michigan (1954), and KCOM. He practiced general medicine and then radiology at Sheridan Community Hospital where he served as chief of staff.
He was a life member of the American Osteopathic Association, the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians, and the American College of Osteopathic Radiology. He was actively involved in his community and was past president of the Edmore Lions Club. In 1975, Montabella High School held their homecoming in his honor to commemorate his many years of service as the athletic department’s physician.
Dr. Deurloo is survived by his wife of 54 years, Joan; daughter Kathy O’Brien (Bret); grandchildren Jason, Callie, and Brendan O’Brien, and Carrie Powell (Gabriel); great-grandson Ethan Powell; brothers Russell (Joyce) and James (Carol) Deurloo; and sister-in-law Norma Carey.
He was preceded in death by his son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Cheryl Deurloo; sister-in-law Jean Swanson; and brother-in-law Norman Carey.
Memorial contributions may be given to the Metron of Belding Activities Fund or the Alzheimer’s Association.
Jack L. Dilts, DO, ’75, of Milford, Del., died Sept. 20, 2012. Dr. Dilts was born Oct. 18, 1945, in Ithaca, Mich. He was a dedicated athlete and played basketball and football in high school and college. He met his wife in 1967 at Grand Valley State University; they were married 43 years.
Dr. Dilts is survived by his wife, Deborah; children Kristopher Dilts and Kelsey Dilts McGregor; and grandson Rowan Jack Dilts McGregor.
Dr. Dilts’ career in medicine included past director of medical education/intern training at Carson City Hospital, past president of the Central Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians, past chair of Carson City Hospital’s Department of Surgery, and medical director of occupational health at Milford Memorial Hospital. Most recently split his time between serving as the occupational health director and a panel physician of the Wound Care and Hyperbaric Center at Nanticoke Hospital Health Services in Seaford, Del.
Dr. Dilts loved his family, friends, and neighbors and was an active member in his community. He served on the Carson City-Crystal school board for many years, coached his children and their teammates in sports, and loved woodworking and travel. Throughout his life, he loved helping others. He was a generous man and embraced giving to others in times of need, as well as offering simple acts of kindness anonymously. His generous spirit is also reflected in his wish to be an organ donor, helping as many as 50 other individuals.
Donations noted “In memory of Dr. Jack Dilts” may be directed to Nanticoke Health Services, 121 S. Front St., Seaford, DE 19973.
Rinda P. Ellis, DO, ’96, Provo, Utah, died Feb. 6, 2013, after a brief battle with cancer. She received a liver transplant in 2010, which gave her two additional years to spend with her children who were her love, passion, and priority.
Dr. Ellis was born April 14, 1957, in Portland, Ore., the fifth of eight children born to Gilbert G. and Jenae Watkins Parker. She married Daniel B. Ellis and later divorced. They had three children, Daniel J. Ellis, Aaron Z. Ellis, and Jessica R. Ellis. She is survived by her mother, Jenae W. Parker, and seven siblings, Michael A. Parker, Sharon J. Binder (Steve Lucas), James W. Parker, Kathryn A. Parker, Dr. Robert G. Parker, Alan D. Parker, and Janet P. Stewart (Greg). She also leaves behind many loving nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. Dr. Ellis was preceded in death by her father and her grandparents, Ira Oray and Ida Jane Watkins and Joseph and Ethyl Fejes.
Dr. Ellis was raised on a farm in Vancouver, Wash., and she attended schools there until her family moved to Provo; she graduated from Provo High School (1976) where she participated in drill team and AUM Club. She attended BYU and traveled to Israel to study archeology and attend Tel Aviv University and then spent time hitch-hiking through Europe. She later completed a degree in dental hygiene at Clark College in Vancouver, Wash., and worked as a dental hygienist in California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska before serving an LDS mission to Curitiba, Brazil, and returning to BYU where she participated in its European art study abroad program. She later graduated from Portland State University in Portland, Ore., and KCOM. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology in St. Louis, Mo., and began practice in the areas of areas of women’s health and OB-GYN in Oregon before settling for good in Provo where she worked at UVRMC Women’s Center until an illness required her to take leave. During the time of her illness, her lack of strength limited her activity, but she remained determined to return to work, even traveling while ill to Florida to sit for her OB boards.
She loved learning and stressed the importance of education, art, and music with her family. She loved and excelled at many things, including art, gardening, photography, reading, music, journaling, throwing family parties, The Cabin, skiing, traveling, shopping, cooking, and sharing with others.
Her positive attitude and spirit captivated all she met. She was always laughing and had a smile for everyone. Throughout her home and in her many journals we find handwritten and decorated affirmations—short statements to help keep a positive spirit. She was all about living life to the fullest to the point that her body could no longer keep up with her exuberant spirit, so she moved along to the next step in her eternal path.
Dr. Ellis was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and liked to talk about her pioneer heritage, especially the Martin Handcart Company and its history. She shared her testimony with others and wanted her children to know that she will always be an influence in their lives. She was a missionary to the end. Her family and friends will miss her dearly.
Lloyd L. England, DO, ’52, Davenport, Iowa, died July 5, 2012. Dr. England was born in King City, Mo., on Dec. 30, 1925, and lived in Bethany, Mo., until graduating high school. Growing up, he played the clarinet and enjoyed hunting with friends. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1943 and served as an infantryman in France, Belgium, and Germany, with occupation duty in Austria and France. Upon his discharge from active duty, he attended KCOM. In 1949, he met the love of his life, Caroline Anne Reed, and they wed May 5, 1950. His education was interrupted when he was called up from the Reserves to serve in Korea as a medical corpsman. After Korea, he graduated medical school, had his own general practice in Craig, Mo., and returned to Kirksville for a residency in radiology. He began practicing as a board certified radiologist at Davenport Osteopathic Hospital in 1958, retiring after nearly 40 years of practice.
He enjoyed woodworking and making stained glass windows, was a crossword wizard, and was a pushover for his cats. Those with whom he worked respected him and enjoyed his company. His best accomplishments were doing his utmost to be a good friend, son, husband, dad, and grandpa.
He is survived by Caroline, his wife of 62 years; daughter Mary Beth (Dircks); son Dan; grandchildren Zach, Heidi, Chelsea, Susan, and Katie; and great-grandchildren Gavin and Finn.
Anthony M. Fasano, DO, ’75, Chantilly, Va., died July 22, 2012. Dr. Fasano was born in New York to the late Frank and Frances Fasano. He is survived by two sons, A.J. Fasano and Michael Fasano (Luna); wife of 38 years, Sylvia Perez Fasano; and siblings Leopold Fasano, Susan Pankow, Bernadette Cattuna, Barbara Maher, and Jeanne Varley.
After graduating from KCOM, Dr. Fasano proudly served his country in the U.S. Air Force for 13 years, after which he opened Main Street Medical. For 25 years he served as a family physician to countless Fairfax, Va., families.
Memorial contributions may be made to the VA Medical Hospital in Martinsburg, WV.
Morry S. Fox, DO, ’56, Coral Gables, Fla., died June 7, 2012.
Esther B. Ginsberg, AuD, ’02, Nipomo, Calif., died Jan. 13, 2013.
Jack R. Griffen, DO, ’58, Bowling Green, Mo., died July 15, 2012, at age 83. Dr. Griffen was born July 25, 1928, in Hannibal, Mo., the son of Walter Merritt and Mildred Louise Petrie Griffen. On Aug. 7, 1955, he married Margaret Ann Howell Griffen, who survives.
Other survivors include sons Jerry R. Griffen (Jacklyn) and Larry A. Griffen (Virginia); daughter Judith Ann Gibson (Richard); sisters Phyllis Jean Vincent and Roberta Watson Dismukes; six grandchildren, two great grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and brother Theodore Griffen.
Dr. Griffen was a member of the Second Baptist Church in Bowling Green, Mo. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict. He attended Illinois College at Jacksonville, graduated from the University of Missouri in Columbia (1950) with a BS in agriculture, graduated from the University of Missouri Columbia again (1954) with a BA in biology, and graduated from KCOM. In 1959, he established a family medical practice in Bowling Green and was the physician and surgeon. He kept this practice for 36 years and remained in Bowling Green.
He was a member of the Rotary Club, Bonsai Society of St. Louis, lifetime member of the VFW Post #5553, and lifetime member of the Missouri Osteopathic Association and American Osteopathic Association. He loved fishing, hunting, caring for bonsai plants and roses, was active with Boy Scouts, and loved being with his family.
Memorials may be made to the Second Baptist Church in Bowling Green.
E. Ross Hanson, DO, ’65, Daytona Beach, Fla., died July 3, 2012.
Bill P. “Billy” Hatch, DO, ’53, Cave Creek, Ariz., died July 10, 2012, at age 88. “Doc” to all who knew him, was born in Hatch, Idaho, and enjoyed sports and ranching as a young man. He attended the University of Utah (pre-med) and obtained his DO from KCOM.
Dr. Hatch loved his ranch in Idaho where he developed much of his identity. He served in the valley as a general practitioner (1953-86). He was actively involved in the West Side Sheriff’s Posse as a life member. He enjoyed riding the range, caring for his cattle, and taking in the fresh Idaho air. His passions included team roping, boxing, and his wife, Dolores, of 62 years.
He was preceded in death by his wife; his infant son, Craig; and his daughter, Pamela. He is survived by children Mark, Laird, Lorin, and Lori; grandchildren Cara Thomas, Leah Ketchum, and Andrea Hatch; and nine great grandchildren.
Lawrence C. Hazen, DO, ’69, Saginaw, Mich., died Dec. 3, 2012, at age 69. Dr. Hazen was born April 5, 1943, in Detroit, Mich., to the late Carman and Chrystal (Easley) Hazen. He married Christine L. Scorsone on Aug. 7, 1965, in Saginaw.
Dr. Hazen graduated from Arthur Hill High School (1961), Central Michigan University (1965) with a BS in biology, and KCOM. Dr. Hazen served a one-year internship at Saginaw Osteopathic Hospital and a three-year residency in ophthalmology in Florida. He returned to Saginaw in 1973 and began his practice of 40 years. In 1995, he opened Andersen Eye Associates and in 2006 opened the Andersen Surgery Center.
He was a past president and fellow of the American College of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology. He was a member of Saginaw County Osteopathic Association and practiced on the staff of Saginaw Osteopathic, Saginaw General, St. Mary’s, and Covenant Hospitals. In 1998 he created Saginaw Area Foundation for Eye Care, which provides eye exams, glasses, and necessary surgical procedures for the underinsured. It was a great passion of his life to provide access to quality eye care for those who could not otherwise afford it.
Throughout his life Dr. Hazen was an avid hunter and fisherman, traveling to Africa, Mexico, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Alaska, British Columbia, Quebec, Newfoundland, and the Western United States in pursuit of his hobby.
Surviving are his wife, Christine; son Gregory Hazen, MD (Natalie); daughter Elizabeth Hazen; five grandchildren, Grant, Riley, and Carter Hazen and Phoebe and Brendan Trier; a brother, Ronald Hazen, MD (Dorothy); and brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Bruce and Karyl Scorsone. Also surviving are many nieces and nephews. Memorials are suggested to S.A.F.E., P.O. Box 5961, Saginaw, MI 48603.
A. Sam Hill, DO, ’82, Columbus, Ohio, died April 22, 2009.
Wendell E. Jacobs, DO, ’41, Vero Beach, Fla., died Dec. 30, 2012. Dr. Jacobs was born in Lima, Ohio, lived in Michigan, and was a winter resident of Florida for 60 years. He graduated from Lima High School as valedictorian and received his doctorate from KCOM. Dr. Jacobs practiced medicine in Howell, Mich., for 40 years before his retirement (1980).
He served as chief of staff at McPherson Hospital for several years. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, the Lions Club, the Elks Lodge, and was a 32nd Degree Mason in the Masonic Lodge F&AM. He was an avid boater and had the first family ski lodge membership in Mt. Brighton, Mich. Dr. Jacobs was handy with tools and enjoyed working on all things mechanical.
Survivors include his wife of 72 years, Mildred Jacobs; sons Ronald Jacobs and Wendell Early Jacobs Jr.; daughters Karen Salswedel, Jan K. Mateskon, and Jill J. Meadows; and 11 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.
Alexander H. Levine, DO, ’38, Valley Cottage, N.Y., Pequannock, N.J., died April 26, 2012, at age 95. He was born in Bayonne. Dr. Levine, an osteopathic physician, served the community in which he lived for many years. He is survived by his wife, Leah; his son, Jeffrey; and his daughter, Karen. Memorial contributions may be made to Jewish Family Service of MetroWest.
John F. Maxfield III, DO ’43, New London, N.H., died Jan. 17, 2013. Dr. Maxfield was born in Bloomfield, N.J., on April 6, 1919, son of the late Harris and Mimsey (Bacon) Maxfield. He graduated from New Hampton School (1937); pre-med at Syracuse University (1939); KCOM (1943); and post-graduate training at Mass Osteopathic Hospital (1943-45). He practiced osteopathic medicine in Newport and Claremont (1945-89).
Always an active skier and golfer, Dr. Maxfield enjoyed life to the fullest. You could find him riding his bike or running barefoot on the golf course in Florida right up until his 90th birthday. Jack will be remembered for always having a smile on his face, and that smile was present until the end of his life.
He was a member of the Bektash Temple Shrine and St. Peter’s Masonic Lodge in Bradford. He moved to Naples, Fla., in 1975 and became a full-time resident in 1988. In 2009, he moved back to New Hampshire to be closer to his children.
He is survived by five sons, John Maxfield (Anne), William Maxfield (Katherine Scannell), Thomas Maxfield (Rosemary Martel), Richard Maxfield (Victoria), and Peter Maxfield; a daughter, Katherine Whedon (James); a sister-in-law, Dorothy; seven grandchildren, Melissa Spanos, Julia, Morgan, Nicholas, Kaley, Peter and Allan Leech, and many nieces and nephews who considered him their “favorite uncle.”
He was predeceased by his daughter and granddaughter, Barbara Maxfield and Brooke Willis; wives Bette Morgan and Marilyn Cressy; brother Robert G. Maxfield, MD; and sister and brother-in-law, Kirtley and Ned Sherman.
William M. McDonald, DO, ’83, Camdenton, Mo., died Jan. 26, 2013, at age 59. Dr. McDonald, son of William Carl and Ada Maxine Shackleford McDonald, was born April 12, 1953, in Wichita, Kan. On July 8, 1978, in Kirksville, he married Terry Kay Shapiro. Together they shared 34 years of marriage.
He was preceded in death by his mother, Maxine McDonald. Survivors include his wife, Terry; seven children, Jessie McDonald, William Jared McDonald (Karen), Vera McDonald, Michael McDonald (Chandra), Kristina McDonald, Marina McDonald, and Joshua McDonald; his father, Carl McDonald (Sue); brother Pat McDonald (Angie); and other relatives and many friends.
Dr. McDonald was raised in Tuscumbia and was a graduate of Tuscumbia High School (1971). He served his country proudly in the U.S. Coast Guard. After being honorably discharged, he moved to Kirksville and began classes at Northeast Missouri State University. It was there that he met and married Terry. He received his DO from KCOM. He did his internship in Atlanta, Ga. He later spent three years practicing in Eastern Kentucky and 20 years in Montezuma, Ga. In 2007 he moved to the Lake of the Ozarks and spent five years at the Lake Regional Clinic in Laurie, Mo.
Dr. McDonald was baptized at age 12 in the Christian Church in Tuscumbia. He was received into the Catholic Church in 2006 and was a member of St. Anthony Catholic Church of Camdenton. He was past president of the Georgia Osteopathic Medical Association. He had a passion for helping those in need. From 1990-98, he volunteered for numerous overseas medical mission trips. He traveled to such places as Honduras, Ghana, and Sudan. He also volunteered for Medical Missions for Christ in Camdenton. In his spare time he enjoyed playing the guitar. He loved being a doctor and being around people. Most of all, he loved spending time with his family.
Scott M. McKenna, DO, ’84, died Sept. 4, 2012, in Phoenix, Ariz. He graduated from Hannibal High School, Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State University), and KCOM. While a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force, Dr. McKenna received a master’s degree from Harvard University in public health.
Dr. McKenna is survived by his mother and father, Dot and Gib McKenna; his sister, Michele Scott (Steve); niece Ashley; and nephew Aaron. He is also survived by a long-time friend, Lisa (Wilcox) Coonan.
Maurice W. Payne, DO, ’59, Checotah, Okla., died Sept. 29, 2012, at age 78. Dr. Payne was born May 31, 1934, to P.K. and Ray Elaine Glaze Payne in Galt, Mo. He married the love of his life, Gretchen Arlene Tackett on May 21, 1971.
Dr. Payne was a graduate of the Northeast Missouri State College and KCOM. He completed his post-doctoral internship in Tulsa, Okla. Dr. Payne began his medical career in Checotah, Okla., in 1960 by joining Dr. Fred Parman and forming the Parman and Payne Clinic. The partnership continued until Dr. Parman’s retirement when Dr. John F. Rice joined the practice in what became the Payne-Rice Clinic. During his career, he was one of the founding owners of Cedars and Checotah Nursing Homes. He was chief of staff at Muskogee Regional Medical Center (1987). He served as member and president of the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Examiners, member of the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing Home Administrators, director of the McIntosh County Health Department, campus physician of Connors State College, and chair of the OBGYN department of Muskogee Regional Medical Center. Dr. Payne received the Distinguished Physician Award of the Osteopathic Association (2000) and the Outstanding and Distinguished Service Award from the State Board of Osteopathic Examiners (2001).
As a dedicated citizen of Checotah, he was always active in civic affairs. Dr. Payne was chair for the construction of the Jim Lucas Checotah Public Library, Checotah City Council member, 2009 Old Settler’s Day Parade Grand Marshall, president of the Eastern Oklahoma District Library System, 1998 McIntosh County Democrat Citizen of the Year, Checotah School Board member and past president (25 years), and member of the board of directors of Friends of Honey Springs Battlefield. He was instrumental in the establishment of the new Checotah Branch of the McIntosh County Health Department. He was active in Jaycees, Checotah Lion’s Club, Checotah Chamber of Commerce, Checotah Friends of the Library, and Checotah Landmark Preservation Society. Dr. Payne was a valued member of the First Baptist Church and sang with the renowned Singing Churchmen of Oklahoma.
Dr. Payne enjoyed raising cattle on his ranch, as well as traveling the globe with his wife. They visited more than 40 countries, spanning five continents. He appreciated theatre, various genres of music, and was an avid reader, bowler, and sports fan.
Dr. Payne was preceded in death by his parents. He is survived by his wife; children Gregory Payne, DVM (Joanne), Tracie Payne, Julia Payne; Keyton Payne (Gina), Thomas Payne, MD (Darla), Shawn Payne (special friend, Karen Lacy); grandchildren Amy Seese, Zachary Seese (Julie), Colten Sanger, Peyten Sanger, Stephanie Payne, Megan Payne, Maris Payne, Sara Payne, Caleb Payne, Moriah Payne, Lindsay Payne, Kirby Payne, and Micah Metcalf; and great-grandchild, Benjamin Payne. He is also survived by his sister, Judy Canning (Loyd); niece Sherri Earnst (Scott); nephew Barry Canning; and sister-in-law Meredith Tackett.
Memorials may be made to the First Baptist Church New Life Center Building Fund, 210 SW 2nd St., Checotah, OK 74426.
Todd H. Porter, AuD, ’03, Irving, Texas, died Dec. 2, 2012. Born in Humboldt, Tenn., on Aug. 4, 1946, he was a proud graduate of the University of Tennessee – Knoxville, where he was a member of Kappa Alpha Order. He was dedicated and passionate in his field of audiology, having received numerous professional awards and was a founding member of the Texas Academy of Audiology. He was a devoted member of The Episcopal Church of the Redeemer as well as a member of the Irving – Las Colinas Rotary Club.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Jane Wofford Porter, AuD, ’03; daughters Cary Porter and Tanya Mathison (and her daughter Morgan Speir); sisters Nan Porter and Janna Raney (Gary); nephew Ryan Raney (Erica); sister-in law Martha McFerron (Steve); and nephew Matt McFerron.
Memorials may be made to Church of the Redeemer Building Fund, 2700 Warren Circle, Irving, TX 75062; The Wilkinson Center, P.O. Box 720248, Dallas, TX 75372; or The University of Tennessee Foundation, Designated Gift to Kappa Alpha House, 600 Andy Holt Tower, Knoxville, TN 37996.
Dante S. Roccario, DO, ’55, Aldan, Pa., died July 5, 2012, at age 83. Born in Philadelphia, Pa., on Sept. 5, 1928, he was the son of the late Albert and Mary Roccario as a first generation American.
He was an undergraduate of Temple University. He graduated from KCOM and completed his residency at Lancaster General Hospital in Lancaster, Pa. He opened his first practice in Collingdale and then moved to Aldan where he was a dedicated and cherished family physician for more than 55 years.
Dr. Roccario was an active member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Pennsylvania Osteopathic Family Physicians Society, The American Medical Association, American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, The American Osteopathic Association, The Society of Family Practitioners, and The Pennsylvania Osteopathic Family Physicians Society.
He was on staff at the Delaware County Memorial Hospital (family medicine) with privileges at many surrounding hospitals. He received many honors and commendations throughout his life for his dedication to his profession, but remained humble, tireless, and dedicated.
He was an adoring husband and a wonderful, giving father. A true Renaissance man, he loved words, literature, plays, poetry, languages, opera, classical music, art, and philosophy. He was a writer of books and poetry. He gave generously to support the arts, music, and many other worthwhile charities.
He traveled extensively with his family. He enjoyed tennis and biking, often cycling to house calls and to the hospital. He touched many lives and will be greatly missed. Dr. Roccario demonstrated his dedication to God through his caring, concern, and healing works and deeds.
He is survived by his sister, Janet Roccario Passarelli; son Eric S. Roccario, MD (Leslie); and daughters Tanya R. Braithwaite (John), Maxime R. Thompson (Charles), and Solange R. Pierlott (Tom). Also left behind are 13 grandchildren. Dr. Roccario was predeceased by his wife of 50 years, Frederica Anna Jungwirth Roccario (2005) and his second grandchild, Charlie Thompson.
Memorial contributions may be made to A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, 800 W. Jefferson St., Kirksville, MO 63501, or Delco Memorial Foundation at Delaware County Memorial Hospital, 501 N. Lansdowne Ave., Drexel Hill, PA 19026.
Larry K. Schanz, DO, ’62, Northville, Mich., died Dec. 2, 2012.He was born Feb.19, 1935, in Ann Arbor, Mich., to Karl and Helen (Raymond) Schanz. He is survived by his wife of nearly 60 years, Yvonne (Drow) Schanz; his brother, Raymond; and his four children, Perry Wilson (Andre), Diane Miller (Steve), Donald, and Carol.
Dr. Schanz graduated from KCOM, practiced as a certified family physician for 35 years in Westland and Livonia, Mich., and was much beloved by his patients. In the late 1960s and early 70s, he raced an MG Midget in Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) races (and won regularly). He volunteered as team physician for the Cherry Hill High School football team for several years and as track physician for SCCA regional races.
After retirement, Dr. Schanz loved spending time outdoors in northern Michigan in the summer and fishing and crabbing in Florida each winter, as well as building and flying RC airplanes. He loved good vodka, good wine, good food, and salvaging perfectly good five-gallon buckets from the side of the road.
Donations are encouraged to Smile Train, P.O. Box 96231, Washington, D.C. 20090-6231.
George H. Scheurer, DO, ’54, of Kirksville, Mo., died Oct. 19, 2012, at age 87. Dr. Scheurer was born Dec. 16, 1924, to George Thomas and Teressa Cordelia (Moore) Scheurer. On Jan. 2, 1954, in Williamsport, Pa., he married Gertrude Marretta Caldwell, who preceded him in death (2003). He was also preceded in death by his parents and one sister, Mary Susan Peeling.
Dr. Scheurer is survived by his son, Roy Scheurer (Sue); daughter Marretta Christine Connors (Patrick); grandchildren Barbie Cordray (Andy), Bryan Scheurer (Lacey), Jill Scheurer (fiancé, Wade Rodriguez), and Elizabeth Eisenhauer (Frank); eight great-grandchildren, Haiden Homer, Michael and Makayla Baird, Malik and Keagan Rodriguez, Quinten and Teagan Scheurer, and Ruby Cordray; great-great-grandchild Kiara Calcutt; nephew Thomas Kirk Peeling; and niece Cheryl Hatcher. Dr. Scheurer is also survived by his beloved friend and companion, Mary Maye Bennett and her family.
Dr. Scheurer was a dedicated Kirksville community member and supporter of ATSU. He was a KCOM alumnus, emeritus associate professor, and emeritus assistant to the president for facilities. Prior to completing his undergraduate in chemistry (minor in biology) from Pennsylvania State University, Dr. Scheurer served in the U.S. Navy for nearly two years during World War II. After graduating from KCOM, he completed an internship at Bashline-Rossman Hospital and the former Kirksville Osteopathic Hospital.
Dr. Scheurer joined the KCOM faculty in 1956 as an instructor in biochemistry and osteopathic manipulative medicine, and he served as the director of clinical services for Community Nursing Homes Inc. Dr. Scheurer opened the first EEG lab in Kirksville (1959). He later became medical director and associate administrator of Still-Hildreth Osteopathic Hospital in Macon, Mo. (1964). He chaired the KCOM Curriculum Committee for 10 years. In his administrative role for KCOM, he supervised nearly all new facility construction on the Missouri campus for 30 years, including the Oklahoma Building, South Wing of the now NRMC, Gutensohn Osteopathic Health and Wellness Clinic, KCOM Thompson Campus Center, George W. Rea, DO, Cancer Treatment Center, and Tinning Education Center. Dr. Scheurer retired as the assistant to the president for facilities (1994) and was awarded emeritus associate professor of internal medicine and emeritus assistant to the president for facilities (1997).
Dr. Scheurer was a member of ATSU’s Still Society, in recognition of his faithful and dedicated financial support of the University. He was an active alumnus, serving as class reunion chair for his 50th class reunion, as his class Annual Fund Campaign chair (1997), and on the KCOM Board’s Presidential Search Committee (1983, 1997). His outstanding service to KCOM has been recognized through several awards, including the Kirksville Osteopathic Alumni Association (KOAA) Living Tribute Award (1993), the KOAA Distinguished Service Award (1991), and Alumnus of the Year (2004), which is the KOAA’s highest award for outstanding service to the osteopathic profession, to KCOM, and to the KOAA.
Dr. Scheurer was active in a number of professional organizations, including the American Academy of Osteopathy, American Osteopathic Association (life member), MAOPS (former trustee), American Association for the Advancement of Science, Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association, Sigma Sigma Phi, and Northeast Osteopathic District Association (former secretary/treasurer).
An active member of the Kirksville community, Dr. Scheurer was involved in a variety of key leadership roles, including many years as a member (1978-97) and chair (1978-97) of the Kirksville City Planning and Zoning Commission, former Kirksville Area Chamber of Commerce president (1993), and a member and former president (1978-79) of the Kirksville Noon Rotary Club. He was a member of the Trinity Episcopal Church and a participant of the Mary Immaculate “Why Catholic” group.
Dr. Scheurer was distinguished with a number of other awards including the District Award of Merit from the Boy Scouts of America and the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons District Award (2005), given in recognition of outstanding service to his District Association and community. He was a prior grand marshal for the Still-the-Best parade and for the 1994 KCOM commencement.
Memorials are suggested to the ATSU Scholarship Fund in honor of Dr. Scheurer.
Stanley M. Schiff, DO, ’62, Jenkintown, Pa., died Oct. 29, 2010. Dr. Schiff was father to Hilary Cohen (Ross), Marlyn Silvera (David), and Eric Schiff; brother to Myron “Sonny” Schiff (Marilyn) and the late Carole J. Levinson (Richard); grandfather to Jared, Joshua, Justin, Arielle, Alexandra, and Drew. He is also survived by loving companion Debra Campbell.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Abramson Cancer Center University of Pennsylvania, c/o Dr. Titelbaum, 16th Floor, Penn Tower, 3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.
T. Robert Sharp, DO, ’44, Dallas, Texas, died Aug. 18, 2012. Born in Minneapolis, Minn., on Nov. 10, 1920, he lived a long, happy, productive life.
After graduating from KCOM he began practice in Reeceville, Wis. (1944). He quickly became a beloved citizen of Reeceville, and when he moved to Dallas (1960), the city named the street in front of his home and clinic Sharp Avenue. With his wife, a Texas native, he and the family reestablished his medical practice in Mesquite. In 1978, his son, Douglas R. Sharp, DO, ’77, joined him in practice. He officially retired from medicine in 2004.
During his years of active practice in Texas, the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (Ft. Worth) was established. He was one of the early promoters of this endeavor and worked diligently toward helping bring the college to life.
He was also instrumental in promoting the certification of general practice as a subset of osteopathic medicine. He was the first general practice physician to be awarded certification in his chosen field. Over a lifetime of community and professional service he was recognized with numerous national and state awards and honors.
Dr. Sharp was preceded in death by infant son Walter Smith; his wife of 35 years, Marjorie Sharp (1978); and sisters Joan Hyland (2009) and Evangeline Morris (2012). He is survived by his wife of 27 years, Mary Christian Sharp; daughters Lee Carol Copeland (Tom) and Lanier Horton; son Dr. Robert Sharp; grandchildren Thomas Robert Copeland (Doreen) and great-grandson Thomas, Scot Copeland (Maggie) and great-grandsons Tyson and Mason, Joshua Copeland, Leslie Lanier Bearce, and Bradley Horton and Jess. Also surviving is one brother, Virgil L. Sharp, DO, ’45 (Joan).
Donations to the library of Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine or St. Stephen United Methodist Church are appreciated.
Willard I. Skousen, DO, ’46, Gilbert, Ariz., died July 2, 2011, at Arizona Regional Medical Center, formerly known as Mesa General Hospital, of which he was one of the original founders. He was born on July 7, 1913, in Casa Grande, Mexico, son of James N. and Emma Skousen.
Dr. Skousen’s greatest love was for his family and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, of which he was a lifetime member serving in numerous capacities—first as a missionary in Argentina for three years, then as a branch president, bishop, mission president, regional representative, temple presidency, and sealer. Dr. Skousen also served his community as a physician and surgeon, loving his work and the people he served.
He is survived by his wife, Ruth Nielson, of 70 years; sisters Della Stillmar and Cecil Pomeroy; brother James Skousen; children Mikel Skousen, DO, ’71 (Marian), Linda Thompson, Marta Ballard (Steve), Jane McClement (John), Steve (Trudy), and Roy (Angela) Skousen, DO, ’85.
Candler S. “Candi” Smith, AuD, ’09, Murrells Inlet, S.C., died Oct. 10, 2012, at age 48. Dr. Smith was born Jan. 16, 1964, in Louisville, Ky., to Dr. Wyman L. and Jeanette Matthews Shealy. She was a 1981 graduate of Saluda High School, in Saluda, S.C. She was a member of the Tiger Marching Band as a flutist. As a member of the Walter Newman Riding Academy in Aiken, S.C., she was an avid equestrian and competed on the state circuit in the Hunter Jumpers division. She won many prestigious awards with her favorite horse, Ringo.
Dr. Smith earned a BA in speech communications from Columbia College (1985) and a Master’s degree in audiology from the University of South Carolina. She completed her AuD at ASHS. While at Columbia College, she met her husband, Frank. They were married Oct. 14, 1989, in Saluda, S.C.
After moving to Myrtle Beach, S.C., Dr. Smith worked at Pee Dee Speech and Hearing Center. She most recently practiced as a clinical audiologist with Drs. Rosner, Cunningham, and Osmond of Coastal Carolina Otolaryngology. She loved her patients and working with her dedicated colleagues. She was a member of the South Carolina Academy of Audiology, American Academy of Audiology, and American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Dr. Smith served on various committees for Waccamaw schools as an active member of the PTA and was a member of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Pawleys Island, S.C. She relished football and soccer weekends with family and friends and cherished family vacations. She was also a passionate and loyal Gamecock fan. More than any of her awards and accomplishments, Dr. Smith treasured her family most.
Survivors include her parents; husband Franklin Davis Smith; daughter Candler Davis Smith; son Davis Shealy Smith; and mother-in-law Martha Jenerette Smith. She was preceded in death by her father-in-law, Dennis Lee Smith Sr.
Memorials may be made to St. Peter’s Lutheran Church at 65 Crooked Oak Dr., Pawleys Island, SC 29585, or the Ashley G. Foundation to support cancer research at P.O. Box 14, Pawleys Island, SC 29585.
James D. Springer, DO, ’55, Vancouver, Wash., died Oct. 15, 2011, at age 86. He was born April 13, 1925, to Luther Roy Springer and Eleanor Arvilla Palmer in Ford’s Prairie and grew up in Galvin. He was next to the youngest of seven brothers and sisters.
Known as “Doc,” he served in Okinawa during World War II. He met his future wife, Evelyn Borden, at Seattle Pacific College. They married in Ridgefield, Wash., on June 15, 1947. Doc received his DO from KCOM and the family moved to Randle, Wash. (1957). He practiced medicine in Randle for almost 50 years and loved the people of the valley, helping them day or night.
Dr. Springer and Evelyn helped start the Church of The Nazarene in Randle. He loved music and played the accordion and the harmonica and sometimes filled in at the piano. You could always hear his voice in a crowd, and he could whistle like a bird. Dr. Springer loved sports and loved to fish, hunt, go clam digging, pick berries, and raise a big garden.
Dr. Springer was preceded in death by his father, mother, brothers and sisters, and wife of 50 years. He is survived by Cyrilla Gleason, Ross Springer, Rosalyn Bencio, Chrystell Manning, and Craig Springer. He has 15 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
Memorials may be made to the Randle Church of The Nazarene or to the Ray Hickey Hospice House of Vancouver, Wash.
Michael A. Stockton, DO, ’86, Powell, Ohio, died Nov. 7.2012, at age 61 after a battle with cancer. He was born April 20, 1951, in Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Stockton was preceded in death by his parents, Walter and Shirley (Gray) Stockton and half-brother Walter Stockton Jr. He is survived by his wife, Cheri Fraganato-Stockton; children Kalindi Stockton (Emmet O’Melia), Nandini Stockton, Kamalika McKim; step-son Brian Fraganato; and grandchildren Kazmen Henkin, Guinevere McKim, Ruari Stockton-Ferranti, and Darrah Stockton-O’Melia.
Dr. Stockton received his BA with distinction from the University of California, Berkley, with a full scholarship; medical degree from KCOM; and psychiatric degree from Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry. He was board certified in psychiatry and neurology. He also was certified in detox acupuncture. He was a member of the American Medical Association, Ohio State Medical Association, American and Ohio Osteopathic Associations, American and Ohio Psychiatric Associations, Menninger Foundation, Society of The Masterson Institute, and University of California Berkley Alumni Association.
Before retiring due to illness, he was assistant medical director of Southeast Mental Health Inc. He was the mobile van psychiatrist for their outreach program to the homeless. He was so proud when his team received the 2005 Exemplary Award from the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington.
Contributions may be made to Kobacker House, 800 McConnell Dr., Columbus, OH 43214 in Dr. Stockton’s memory.
John M. Szala, DO, ’64, China Village, Maine, died Aug. 12, 2012.
William G. Taaffe, DO, ’52, Dayton, Ind., died July 7, 2012, at age 85. He was born March 25, 1927, in Omaha, Neb., to the late Harry and Ethel Brown Taaffe. He married Dorothy Garvin on Aug. 11, 1951; she survives.
He served in the U.S. Navy (1945-46) and graduated from Fargo High School (Fargo, N.D.), North Dakota State College, and KCOM. Dr. Taaffe was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and enjoyed cars, music, and time with his family and friends.
Surviving are his wife of 60 years, Dorothy A. Taaffe; daugher Jean Taaffe; son Steve Taaffe (Gloria); and grandson John Taaffe.
Those wishing may contribute to Alzheimer’s research.
Ruth E. Toluba, DO, ’39, Nanticoke, Pa., died May 28, 2012, at age 99. Born Dec. 21, 1912, in Zanesville, Ohio, she was a daughter of the late Ralph H. and Lucy E. Adams Osborn. She was a graduate of KCOM, where she met husband Dr. Clifton Mace, who preceded her in death (1956). Dr. Toluba assumed his practice and continued treating patients until approximately 10 years ago.
She was a member of Nebo Baptist Church and its adult Sunday school class and formerly was a longtime member of First United Methodist Church. She also attended the former Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. Early in life she was active in Girl Scouting. She was an avid skier, which she took up later in life, and she loved gardening.
In addition to her first husband, she was preceded in death by her second husband, Anthony Toluba, and a sister, Martha Swartz. Surviving are a son, Franklin E. Mace (Rachel); daughter Martha Bachman (James); five grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; brother Merrill Osborn; and several nieces and nephews.
Contributions in Dr. Toluba’s memory may be made to Nebo Baptist Church, 75 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke, PA 18634.
John E. Upledger, DO, ’63, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., died Oct. 26, 2012, at age 80. A native of Detroit, Mich., Dr. Upledger played the piano and accordion and originally wanted to be a jazz musician. He decided on a medical career after a stint in the U.S. Coast Guard during the 1950s. In the eye of a hurricane, he performed an appendectomy with instructions from a surgeon on the other end of a ship-to-shore radio. He later graduated from KCOM and became a general practitioner and surgeon.
Affectionately known as “Dr. John” by his students and colleagues, Dr. Upledger gained global recognition for his pioneering advancements in the field of manual therapy, in particular, craniosacral therapy. In 1985, he founded the Upledger Institute to continue spreading the word of this effective, light-touch modality to healthcare providers worldwide. His son, John Matthew Upledger, who is president and CEO of Upledger Institute International, worked by his side for 25 years. Together they formed the International Alliance of Healthcare Educators as well as the International Association of Healthcare Practitioners.
His development of craniosacral therapy and the work of Upledger Institute International led to Dr. Upledger serving on the Alternative Medicine Program Advisory Council for the Office of Alternative Medicine at the National Institutes of Health in Washington, D.C., and his being named in Time magazine as one of America’s “Next Wave of Innovators” for his proven clinical applications of this therapy.
Dr. Upledger was part of the medical team that in 2003 separated 2-year-old twin boys who were born joined at the top of their heads. He also treated Olympic platform diver Mary Ellen Clark, who later won a bronze medal in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Ga.
During the past 30 years, Dr. Upledger authored eight books detailing the application of craniosacral therapy and somatoemotional release and offering case studies on its effectiveness. Among Dr. Upledger’s outreach programs were work with military veterans coping with PTSD and the use of dolphins in conjunction with craniosacral therapy.
Dr. Upledger leaves his wife, Lisa, and her son, Loren. With his first wife, Beverly, he leaves daughter Leslie, and three sons, John Matthew, Mark (deceased), and Michael. He also leaves his second wife, Diane, and stepson Rob (deceased).
Donations in Dr. Upledger’s name can be given to the Upledger Scholarship Fund for patients in need, dolphin programs, and veterans’ programs.
Charles H. Vortriede, DO, ’43, Grosse Pointe Park, Mich., died Jan. 25, 2012, at age 95. He was born Aug. 3, 1916, in Toledo, Ohio, and was a Detroit resident since the early 1950s. He will be dearly missed by his wife, Rosalie; sister Tinka Worthington; and children Karen, Duane, Henry (Kathleen), Eric (Jen), August (Geri), and Rolland (Margaret). He was a loving grandfather of five and great-grandfather of four. He was known as uncle “Bus” to the Worthington family.
Dr. Vortriede was founder and senior surgeon at Garden City Hospital until he retired (1980). He was insatiably curious and the consummate craftsman. He loved God, family and friends, making and playing violins, listening to music, anything to do with boating, wine making, all things mechanical, collecting books, and studying anything scientific.
Memorial tributes may be made to Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall or Detroit Rescue Mission.
John A. Vosler, DO, ’55, Eaton, Ohio, died Aug. 11, 2012, at age 85. He was the third son of Joseph C. Vosler and Edith B. Vosler (Moyer), born March 30, 1927, in Piqua, Ohio. He graduated from Piqua High School (1945) where he was prominent in various music activities, including concert and marching bands, orchestra, and the Jim Summers Orchestra as a trumpet player.
In July 1945, he entered the Army Air Force at Camp Attebury, Ind., and received assignments to Keesler Field, Miss., and Chanute Field, Ill. In 1946, he began overseas service at Tulln Air Force base near Vienna, Austria, returning to the United States in 1947, and was honorably discharged. He began premedical studies in 1947 at Miami University and played trumpet in the Miami marching band and the dance band The Royal Esquires.
In 1950, he transferred to Ohio State University for the remainder of his premedical training, and in 1951 entered KCOM. He completed his internship at Grandview Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, and began his practice of general medicine in Eaton in 1956. In 1961, Dr. Vosler became president of the Dayton District Academy of Osteopathic Medicine for one year, and in 1965, he and Dr. Harold Ferguson Sr. were the co-founders of the Preble County Medical Center in Eaton.
In 1972, he was elected to his first term as Preble County Coroner and remained in that office until 2011. In 2008, he was elected to his 10th consecutive term. Dr. Vosler was a life-member of the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, Ohio Osteopathic Association, and Dayton District Academy of Osteopathic Medicine. He also was a member of the Ohio State Coroners Association; director of Miami Valley Regional Crime Laboratory; had medical staff affiliation with Grandview, Southview, and Good Samaritan hospitals in Dayton, Ohio; and was a former staff member at Reid Memorial Hospital in Richmond, Ind. He was director for many years of Starbank of Preble County, and past member of the Eaton Lions Club, Eaton Rotary Club, American Cancer Society, and in earlier years, had been the team physician for the Eaton football team. He was a member of the American Legion and the Preble County Honor Guard, for which he served many years as military bugler. He also was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police, Preble County Historical Society, and BPO Elks Lodge #523 in Piqua, and a long-time patron of Preble County Habitat of Humanity.
Dr. Vosler was a member of the American Federation of Musicians, and had an abiding interest in music all of his life. He was widely known in the Greater Miami Valley area as a trumpet player, and was a member of the Piqua Civic Band, Sidney Civic Band, Tipp City Community Band, Swing Era Big Band, Frank Neville’s Big Band, Barry Caudill’s Counts Four & Company, and the Moonlighters. In earlier years, he played with the Les Shepard Orchestra and in recent years with the One More Time nine-piece band.
Survivors include his wife, Meri; three sons, Mark S. Vosler, DO, ’79 (Peggy Hake), Scott R. Vosler, DO, ’82 (Tammy Day), and Kent D. Vosler, DO, ’92; and one daughter, Dr. Jill Vosler (John McCafferty); one brother, Robert J. Vosler; and 13 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by two brothers, Charles and Marion.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Piqua or Sidney Civic bands, the Preble County Habitat for Humanity, or the Preble County Honor Guard.
Jack L. Wise, DO, ’61, Parrish, Fla., died July 27, 2012. Dr. Wise was born May 12, 1933. He was a board certified family physician and an adjunct clinical assistant professor for Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM).
Dr. Wise was dedicated to community service in many ways, such as volunteering weekly at the One Stop Clinic. He enjoyed teaching up-and-coming doctors at LECOM. One of his passions was sharing his vast knowledge of medicine.
Dr. Wise received his AB degree from West Virginia University and his DO from KCOM.
Raymond J. Wojciak, DO, ’59, Valrico, Fla., died Dec. 10, 2012. He was born in Pittsburgh on Oct. 22, 1924. He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Mathilda Tillie Wojciak; his parents, Joseph and Laura Wojciak; and sister Irene Wojciak. He is survived by daughters Sandra Wisehart (Dan), Judith Thornton (Keith), Cynthia Kutcher (Paul); grandchildren Dana Wichman (Larry), Chad Wisehart, Eric Thornton (Amy), and Shelley Thornton; sisters Theresa Wojciak, Rita Wojciak, Antoinette Gizzi (Guy); and nephews.
Dr. Wojciak was a graduate of Central Catholic High School, the University of Pittsburgh, D.T. Watson School of Physical Therapy, and KCOM. Dr. Wojciak was in private family practice for 40 years in Robinson Township. He was on staff at St. John’s Hospital, Ohio Valley Hospital, Central Medical Pavilion, and Sycamore Creek Nursing Home. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Medical Society, Allegheny County Medical Society, American Academy of Family Physicians, State Board of Osteopathic Medicine, and American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians.
In 2000, he was presented Aetna Health Plans of Western Pennsylvania’s Most Valuable Physician Award. Dr. Wojciak was also recognized by Montour Senior High School for his 35 years as the school and team physician.
He was a past member of Chartiers, Sewickley and Montour Country clubs, and a past member of Holy Trinity, St. Malachy’s and the Nativity Church in Brandon, Fla. He was a 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus and a Lions Club member. Dr. Wojciak served during WWII in the U.S. Air Force and was awarded the Air Medal.
Donations may be made to the Montour Football Boosters Association, c/o George Klemmer, 1 Dendron Dr., Coraopolis, PA, 15108.
James J. Woodruff, DO, ’58, N. Las Vegas, Nev., died March 2, 2013.
Richard C. Wright, DO, ’54, Avondale, Ariz., died Jan. 25, 2013. He was born July 15, 1926, in Haverhill, Mass., first born of Ralph and Nellie Wright. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served as a hospital corpman aboard the USS Repose in the Pacific Fleet during WWII. He graduated from Iowa Weslyan (1949), and earned his DO from KCOM. He and wife Helen Hope Hersey, of Needham, Mass., moved to Standish (1956) where he established a family practice.
One his proudest achievements was the establishment of one of the country’s first rescue units serving the Standish, Steep Falls, and Sebago regions. He was the state’s first registered hypnotist, using it in a variety of medical procedures. An early advocate of aerobic exercise, he frequently ran from Standish into the Osteopathic Hospital of Maine in Portland. He entered and completed the Boston Marathon. In 1972, he sold his practice to take up hospital administration in Texas, then joined the air force reserves as a Lt. Colonel, administering the hospital at Carswell Air Force base. In 1980, he moved from Fort Worth, Texas, to Phoenix, Ariz., where he again practiced family medicine and in the emergency room. During his late career, he was the attending physician for the federal penitentiary system in Phoenix.
He is survived by his wife, Cynthia; his sons and daughter, Richard, Douglas, Sandra, Prescott, and Roger; sister Eleanor; step-child Sam Diana Salts; nine grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and dog Bernie. He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Forest; his wife, Helen (Hersey); and son Brad.
Former KCOM faculty member Gerald Tritz, PhD, Sierra Vista, Ariz., formerly of Kirksville, Mo., died Feb. 12, 2013, at his home in Sierra Vista, Ariz., with family at his side. He was 75. He was the firstborn son of Lester and Frances (Higney) Tritz, born April 12, 1937, in Sioux City, Iowa. On Sept. 3, 1966, in Phoenix, Ariz., he married Judith McVey, who survives him. Also surviving are two sons, Gerald Tritz (Deborah) and their children, and William Tritz. Other survivors include sisters Janice Goettsch (Jack), Joan Kastner, and Jackie Sawyer; brother Michael Tritz (Linda); sister-in-law Mary Clare Favero (Martin); and 13 nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and three infant daughters.
Dr. Tritz was a graduate of Heelan High School in Sioux City and earned his undergraduate degree in wildlife biology from Utah State University in Logan. He worked his way through college by serving in the U.S. Air Force Reserves, as well as unloading produce from rail cars, delivering pharmacy prescriptions, and packaging cookies at a factory in Sioux City. He then continued his education, supported by fellowships, receiving a MS from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colo., and a PhD from the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in Houston, Texas.
He served as chair of Microbiology/Immunology at KCOM (1976-2003). Earlier in his career, he taught microbiology six years at the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga., and headed the sterility control laboratory for the U.S. Public Health Service in Cape Kennedy, Fla. (1965-67), when the United States was in a race with Russia to be the first to land a man on the moon. His job was to ensure the United States didn’t contaminate the surface of the moon.
He was named researcher of the year at Georgia (1974) and selected as outstanding researcher of the year (1982) by Sigma Sigma Phi, a national honorary organization of osteopathic medical students. Awards for teaching included the Gutensohn Merit Award for teaching excellence (1992).
After retiring in Arizona, he enjoyed traveling throughout the Southwest and Mexico, studying sites occupied by the Anasazi and other native peoples. He was a big fan of Notre Dame football. He highly valued education and encouraged everyone he counseled, including family members, to pursue higher education. Most of all, he loved children and cherished precious moments spent with his two grandsons.
In memory of Dr. Tritz, donations may be made to the newly established Gerald Tritz Diabetes Memorial Fund-ATSU/KCOM. Contributions may be left at or mailed to ATSU-KCOM Development Office, 800 W. Jefferson St., Kirksville, MO 63501.