David A. Brady, DO, ’89, Kernersville, N.C., died Jan. 10, 2013, at age 53. He was born May 15, 1959, to Lee and Georgia McBride Brady.
Dr. Brady was a psychiatrist, and the medical field was his top priority, working passionately with veterans. He was held in high regard throughout the community and beyond, especially those within the medical community.
Dr. Brady was predeceased by his mother, Georgia M. Brady, and brother Leonard Brady. Surviving are his wife of 31 years, Debra Poston Brady; father, Lee Brady; daughters, Sarah, Megan, and Jennifer Brady; and brothers, Larry (Cheryl) Brady and Bruce (Karolyn Kruger) Brady.
Memorials may be made to Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675.
Michael S. Danielson, DO, ’69, Fulton, Ky., died Dec. 17, 2012, at age 69. Dr. Danielson was an emergency room doctor who came to Kentucky in 1998 from Chicago, Ill. He is survived by wife Sandra (Zimmerman) Danielson, daughter Melissa Danielson, son Steven Danielson, and a grandchild. He was preceded in death by his parents, Steven and Mildred (Zinn) Danielson, and a sister.
Memorials may be made to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), 424 E. 92nd St., New York, NY 10128-6804.
Paul P. Edgar, DO, ’44, Tucson, Ariz., died April 5, 2013, at age 93. He was the husband of Betty Anne Eggert Edgar (recently deceased) and father of Zada Ann Edgar-Soto (also recently deceased), Paula (Morris) Riback, Ralph (Pam) Edgar, and David (Corina) Edgar. Dr. Edgar also leaves behind seven grandchildren, Heather (Ben) Roche, Josie (Jody) Lassiter, Jeremy Edgar, Emily Edgar, Rene Soto, Sabrina Soto, and Oren Riback, and six great-grandchildren.
Dr. Edgar was the youngest of five children born in Olathe, Kan., on Dec. 16, 1919. His parents, Josiah Dodds and Zada Patton Edgar, were married in Syria while serving as Presbyterian missionaries in the early 1900s. Shortly after his mother died in 1929, Dr. Edgar was raised by his Uncle Will and Aunt Libbie Edgar on their farm in Sterling, Kansas. He went to Sterling College and later earned his DO from KCOM (1944), where he married Betty.
Dr. Edgar had thriving practices in Minnesota and Jefferson City, Mo., when he felt the call to become a surgeon. After completing a surgical residency in Detroit, Mich., they moved to Farmington, Mo., where he practiced surgery for seven years until they moved to Tucson, Ariz., in 1959. Several years later he became senior surgeon at Tucson General Osteopathic Hospital.
Throughout his medical practice and life, Dr. Edgar helped heal many people and was known for welcoming new doctors to Tucson, as well as sharing with them his medical expertise. His fellow doctors respected him as a skilled surgeon, a hard worker, and a good person.
He was active in the Arizona Osteopathic Association, serving as president (1967-68), and was inducted into the Osteopathic College of Surgeons. He also served on the State Board of Examiners, reviewing the qualifications of DOs wanting to practice in Arizona. He was involved in all the Presbyterian churches that he attended, serving both as deacon and elder. His service to others was tireless as he was involved in numerous ministries and projects as a member of Trinity Presbyterian Church and the Downtown Kiwanis Club.
He had a lifelong desire to continue to learn as much as he could about a variety of subjects. He was an avid reader, and his favorite book of all was the Bible. Dr. Edgar loved to hike, garden, golf, swim, snorkel, scuba dive, fish, boogie board, ski, and cook in the kitchen and grill in the backyard.
Dr. Edgar retired once, but not for long. He went to work for the Public Health Service on Native American reservations, first in Montana and then in Nevada working as a physician in their clinics. Retiring again after five years, they moved back to Tucson where he worked part-time as a social security disability examiner for many years.
Memorials may be made to The House of Neighborly Service, 243 W. 33rd St., South Tucson, AZ 85713.
Robert A. Kleinsmith, DO, ’54, St. Petersburg, Fla., died Aug. 5, 2012.
Peter A. Kronick, DO, ’61, Flushing, Mich., died June 24, 2013, at age 77. Dr. Kronick was born Aug. 17, 1935, in North Adams, Mass., the son of Jack and Bertha (Kriesman) Kronick.
Dr. Kronick was chief of staff at Flint Osteopathic Hospital and served on its board of trustees and as chair of the ethics committee. He was a life professional and a delegate with the American Osteopathic Association. Dr. Kronick served on the board of the American Cancer Society, Congregation Beth Israel, Genesys, and the Bruin Club at Mott Community College. He was a member of the Century Club, Flushing Country Club, and several poker clubs.
Surviving are wife Peggy; children Brian (Kathy) Kronick, Scott (Lisa) Kronick, Dana (Michael) Kronick Buttlar, and Erin Kronick; grandchildren Brittany, Rachel, Jordyn, Jacquelin, Samuel, Eden, Rudy, Sloane, and Orley; sister Ricia (Larry) Scharf; and nieces Bryn and Caren.
Memorials may be made to the American Diabetes Association or Congregation Beth Israel.
Robert W. Larson, DPT, ’04, Elk Grove, Calif., died Oct. 22, 2010. He loved life, family, friends, golf, and the S.F. Giants. He was preceded in death by his mother, Mary Ida, and sister, Sue Collard. He leaves behind son Christopher, daughter Natalie, step-children Greg and Stacy Foster, wife Bev, former wife Kathleen, brother Dave (Kay) Larson, sisters Jane Larson and Kathy (Mike) Holdren, numerous nieces and nephews, and father Robert (Phyllis) Larson.
Born in San Francisco on March 25, 1951, he traveled the world at a young age with his Air Force father and family. He was a natural athlete and loved playing sports. Caring for people and his passion for sports led him to pursue a career in physical therapy. One of his greatest accomplishments was earning his doctorate.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or American Lung Association.
Philip J. “PJ” MacGregor Jr., DO, ’45, South Bend, Ind., died March 13, 2013. He was born to Christena and Philip John “Doc” MacGregor in Lawrenceville, Ill., on Dec. 3, 1920. He attended the University of Illinois and KCOM, and trained at Detroit Osteopathic Hospital. During his first year in Kirksville, he met Helen Neal in organic chemistry. They married Dec. 20, 1943. He completed training in Detroit, Mich., and practiced briefly in Garden City, Mich., before they moved to South Bend in 1947. He and Helen remained in South Bend the rest of their lives.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 69 years, and his sister, Anna (Phil) Gore. He is survived by his children, Phil (Gail), Doug (Gwen), Janice (Tom) Losure, and Scott (Mary). He is survived by his nine grandchildren, PJ IV (Wendy), Lissa (Clay) Bill, Scott (Katy), Megan (Jason) Isaacson, Jennifer, Ashley, Caitlin, Conor, and Colin; and his nine great-grandchildren, Madison, Cate, Sophia Helen #2, Ben, Jack, Addy, PJ V, Graham, and Conor.
Dr. MacGregor was one of the early founders of the South Bend Osteopathic Hospital. He had a rewarding obstetrical practice and delivered more than 14,000 babies during his career. He was past president of the medical staff, state and local osteopathic organizations, and past president of the American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He was tireless in his support of women’s health issues, providing care to the underserved at the Indiana Health Center, Urban Care, and Planned Parenthood. He also served on several charity and community boards.
Dr. MacGregor was most dedicated to his wife and his family and friends. Despite his busy schedule, he still attended his children’s sporting events. He was an avid golfer and handball player. He enjoyed playing cards with his buddies. An enthusiastic skier, he introduced two generations of his family and several friends to the sport. He had a great sense of humor, loved life, and was an exceptional man, husband, and father.
Bernard G. Morin, DO, ’46, El Paso, Texas, and Dudley, Mass., died April 19, 2013, at age 90. He leaves his brother, Robert (Lorraine) Morin; his sister, Connie Cournoyer; and his children, Cam Morin Bounds, Larry (Mary) Morin, Marlene (Paul) Ceppetelli, Melody (Marcos) Ruiz, Charlotte (Robert) Thornhill, and Angela Dennett. Dr. Morin also leaves grandchildren Paul Ceppetelli, Ross Ceppetelli, Mike Bounds, Abigail and Joshua Morin, and Vida Marie Morin, as well as 15 great-grandchildren. Dr. Morin had three predeceased children, Terrance Lee, Richard Keith, and Richard Joel, and two predeceased brothers, Donald and Norman Morin. He leaves Donald’s wife, Natalie Morin, and many nieces and nephews. He also leaves his best friend, Fred Rocha, and his beloved pet Chihuahua, Baby.
Dr. Morin graduated from KCOM in 1946. In 1996, he was given the award of his 50th anniversary of service medal from his alma mater and also was honored as the oldest living alumni from the class of 1946. Dr. Morin also was certified by the pastoral medical association.
Dr. Morin served in private practice for most of his professional career with 22 years of that in Webster, Mass. He also worked at Ft. Campbell Military Hospital in the emergency department in Kentucky. He later worked as a country doctor and served the Amish at times.
He specialized in natural medicine and believed that nutrition and healthy living habits would prevent disease. He was a pioneer in healthcare, believing even in the 1950s that cigarette smoking could leave to cancer and heart disease. Dr. Morin taught principles of nutrition at local colleges in Texas and also to his patients and friends.
In his younger years, he was an enthusiastic Boy Scout, achieving the Eagle Scout rank and was an avid outdoorsman. He did all his own landscaping and cement work. He was an expert gardener, loved camping and hiking. He was a classic pianist and played his children’s favorite song, Disney’s “When you wish upon a star,” whenever requested. He played special music at many churches.
To his family he was “Pepe,” to his patients and friends he was “Doc,” and to everyone else he would greet them with a friendly “Hello, there!” He was gentle, kind, and fun-loving. He was greatly loved and will be greatly missed.
Robert S. Myers, DO, ’70, Newburg, Mo., died May 14, 2013, at age 68. Born Oct. 6, 1944, in Waynesville, Mo., to Dr. Richard and Betty Myers, he grew up riding horses, playing basketball, baling hay, and being a hero to his four siblings.
Dr. Myers graduated high school from Chaminade where he was the first athlete to receive letters in all four sports simultaneously. He attended University of Missouri-Columbia and graduated as a DO from KCOM.
He was a captain doctor in the United States Air Force in Little Rock, Ark. He then returned to Rolla, Mo., with his family to practice medicine alongside his father at the Myers Family Clinic for more than 30 years.
Dr. Myers raised and showed quarter horses and this was his main passion. He was an avid reader and would often devour a book a day. He was incredibly curious about life and loved to engage in conversation.
He is survived by his mother, Betty Myers, and his four children, Heather, Matt, Libby, and Robert Scott Myers II. His three grandchildren, Maya, Odin, and Violet were all able to spend time around him, and he treated them with love and admiration and always had thoughtful gifts for them. Also surviving are his siblings, Ilene, Carol, and Richie. He had six nephews and five nieces and many cousins.
Gerald A. Perkins, DO, ’67, Litchfield Park, Ariz., died March 25, 2013, at age 75. He was born April 8, 1937, to Theodore and Anna Perkins in Swanton, Ohio. He was an alumnus of the University of Michigan and graduated in 1967 from KCOM. He practiced family medicine in Delta, Ohio, for nearly 10 years. Dr. Perkins retired in 2009 from his ophthalmology practice in Carefree, Ariz.
He will forever be remembered for his easy smile, wry sense of humor, tenacious personality, and staunch devotion to the Michigan Wolverines. He will especially be remembered for his quest of academic achievement and thirst for knowledge.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his devoted wife, Mary; brother, Robert; and sisters, Jackie, Barbara, and Mary. Surviving are his daughter, Elizabeth (Tom) Wyse; granddaughters Amanda Wyse and Abbey (Mike) Jiles; two great-grandsons, Aidan Wyse and Auliver Jiles; and sisters Dorothy Miller, Doris Cleghorn, Sue (Louis) Brock, Betty (Ray) Kolodziejczyk, and their extended families.
Robert H. Pierce, DO, ’67, Spring Lake, Mich., died June 23, 2013, at age 74. He was born April 20, 1939, in Lincoln, Ill., to Robert G. and Lucille Pierce (Laffey). He was a graduate of KCOM. After his internship at Muskegon General Hospital, he joined Dr. James Lucie’s practice in Fruitport. Since then he owned and operated the Third Avenue Family Clinic. His practice was his passion and because of that he touched many lives.
Dr. Pierce was the Fruitport school sports physician, and was a member of the Michigan, Muskegon, and Fruitport sports Hall of Fames. On Aug. 30, 1959, he married the former Virginia L. Mounce in El Paso, Ill., and she survives him along with three children, Kelly (Dennis) Pierce-Hayes, Wendy L. Scott, and James Andrew “Andy” (Lisa) Pierce; five grandchildren, Dakota, Montana, Riley, Alexander, and Garrison; and his sister, Marilyn Joan Kilpatrick. Dr. Pierce was preceded in death by a son, Robert Todd Pierce, and by his grandson, Trevor Pierce.
Robert “Doc” S. Seiple, DO, ’51, Dublin, Ohio, died May 23, 2013, at age 86. He was born to the late Dr. Harvey and Nelle Seiple on May 5, 1927. Dr. Seiple was a graduate of Warren G. Harding High School and served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He graduated from KCOM, practicing in Ohio for more than 40 years.
Dr. Seiple was vice speaker, American Osteopathic Association House of Delegates, and speaker, Ohio Osteopathic Association, for 30 years. He was a member of Pomeroy-Racine Lodge #164, F&AM, a 32nd degree Mason, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite-Valley of Columbus, and member of the Aladdin Temple Shrine. He was also a member of Columbus Vaud-Villities, Dublin Kiwanis, and Dublin Community Church. Dr. Seiple was an avid pilot and enjoyed woodworking, boating, and cooking for his family.
He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Donna Seiple; brother Chet (Betty) Seiple; children Linda (Stan) Raphoon, Bruce Seiple, Bob (Emily) Seiple, Todd (Kie) Seiple, Peggy (Ben) Pfefferle, Roger (Cathy) Wood, Lisa (Jeff) Butte, and Diane (Mark) Sauner; two nieces and nephews; 12 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and many friends. In addition to his parents, Dr. Seiple was preceded in death by grandson Michael Raphoon.
Memorials may be made to The Osteopathic Heritage Foundations, 1500 Lakeshore Dr., Ste. 230, Columbus, OH 43204-3800, www.osteopathicheritage.org, or Dublin Food Pantry, c/o The Dublin Community Church, 81 W. Bridge St., Dublin, OH 43017.
Helen L. Thompson Seyfried, DO, ’39, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., died Aug. 18, 2012, at age 96. She was born in 1916 in Watertown, N.Y., to the late Drs. John Wilson and Bertha Haller Thompson. She attended St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y., where she was a Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority member and where she received a liberal arts education before continuing to KCOM.
She married her husband of 45 years, the late Dr. Lloyd A. Seyfried, on the Ides of March 1939, in Toledo, Ohio. They practiced in Detroit, Mich., at the Detroit Osteopathic Hospital (from 1939 to the late 1970s), where they specialized in ear, nose, and throat and plastic surgery. Dr. Seyfried, one of the very first women on the Detroit Osteopathic Hospital staff, not only paved the way for other female medical professionals, but also became known for performing delicate surgeries of the middle ear to restore her patient’s hearing. The doctors were amongst the first husband and wife teams to practice medicine together and were often written about in the Detroit newspapers.
Dr. Seyfried also was a mother of two. She managed not only a successful and demanding surgical practice, but also accomplished balancing that with a successful family and home life as mother and wife. She loved to cook and entertain. Dr. Seyfried enjoyed an active life. Her family travelled and vacationed frequently to Chateau Montebello in Quebec, Canada; extensively throughout Europe; and the Caribbean.
Dr. Seyfried is survived by her children, Dr. Sandra L. Seyfried (Allan A. Burnett) and Mary Ann Weisberg (Bruce), and by the daughters of her recently deceased brother, Dr. Frederick Haller Thompson, Frederica Wellons, and Judith Thompson.
Memorials may be sent to Dr. Sandra Seyfried, c/o Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, 1800 W. Maple Rd., Birmingham, MI 48009.
Roland P. Sharp Sr., DO, ’43, Marlinton, W.V., died July 18, 2013, at age 105. He was the founding president of the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM). Born in 1907 on a small farm in Frost, W.V., Dr. Sharp taught in one-room schoolhouses for more than a decade to earn the money to pay for college, graduating from Concord State Normal School (now Concord University) at age 28. He earned a master’s degree from the biology department at West Virginia University and completed his medical education at KCOM, working at the School as an instructor, as acting chair of pathology, and as an assistant professor of anatomy.
Dr. Sharp practiced for 17 years as a coal company doctor in Mullens, W.V., serving miners and their families. He enjoyed delivering babies, and he delivered a lot of them—at least 1,500 in his lifetime—traveling to remote cabins down a valley or over a mountain, and even performing one delivery completely in the dark.
At age 54, he returned to his home county of Pocahontas and worked in Green Bank as a rural doctor for another four decades, interrupted briefly by his term as president of WVSOM.
Dr. Sharp was 67 years old when he was approached in 1972 by four osteopathic physicians (Drs. Apgar, Bailes, Newell and Wallington) about starting an osteopathic medical school in West Virginia and becoming the dean. He took the helm of the newly established Greenbrier College of Osteopathic Medicine (now WVSOM), and working with a small leadership team, began the process of putting together provisional accreditation, preparing a curriculum, and staffing the school.
Dr. Sharp welcomed the first class of entering students in 1974 and guided them through their four years of instruction until their graduation in 1978. At that point, the American Osteopathic Association granted the college full accreditation, a signal to Dr. Sharp that the school was on the right path and that he could return to his first love—the practice of medicine.
Even after his retirement at age 94, Dr. Sharp continued to visit WVSOM regularly to deliver an anatomy lecture or counsel the student physicians.
Among his many accolades, Dr. Sharp was named Practitioner of the Year (1971) by the West Virginia Society of Osteopathic Medicine which, in 1976, presented him with its highest honor, the Distinguished Service Certificate. Three years later, he was honored by the National Student Osteopathic Medical Association as Outstanding Medical Educator in the United States.
Dr. Sharp is survived by his wife, Thelma “Kit” Neal Sharp, and her children, Charles Lee Neal and Holly Burley, and their spouses and children; his five grandchildren and their families; his grandchildren’s parents; numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins; and his beloved assistant. Dr. Sharp was preceded in death by his son, Roland Paul Sharp Jr., and his first wife, Opal Price Sharp, who died in 1978.
Eugene R. Sherrod, DO, ’65, Rochester Hills, Mich., died July 16, 2013, at age 74. He was born July 31, 1938, in Lawrence Mich., to the late Edward and Mary Sherrod. He was the husband of Joyce (Lowrance) Sherrod, whom he married Feb. 16, 1963, in Kirksville; father of Lisa (Steven) Banas, Marc (Minako) Sherrod, and Sean (Dana) Sherrod; brother of Lynda (Lief) Pedersen; and grandfather of Trevor, Colin, Tyler, Max, Mallory, Hannah, Mitchell, and Maggie. Dr. Sherrod is also survived by his cousins, nephews, nieces, and many close friends.
He graduated from Western Michigan University (1961) and from KCOM (1965). Following his internship he was in general practice and was a house physician for two years; additional training was at Mt. Clemens General Hospital and Garden City Hospital. He worked at Lansing General Hospital (1974-93) and practiced pathology at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital (1993-2010).
Dr. Sherrod was a member of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Rochester. He also was a life member of the American Osteopathic Association as well as a life member of the Michigan Osteopathic Association. He loved his profession as a pathologist and laboratory director. He enjoyed geneology, gardening, travel, golf, and reading, but most of all he loved the time spent with his family and friends. He was particularly close to the class of 1956 from Paw Paw High School, where he was class president and an athlete. He heard from and was encouraged by them often.
Memorials may be directed to O.P.C.-Act of Kindness Fund, 650 Letica Dr., Rochester, MI 48307 or The Friends of Rochester Hills Public Library, 500 Olde Town Rd., Rochester, MI 48307.
Sheldon L. Sirota, DO, ’62, died April 21, 2013. Dr. Sirota was the husband of Ruth and the father of Harold and Geri, Suzanne and Barry, Larry and Paige, and Craig and Stefi. He was the grandfather of Joshua and Alyse, Shoni, Fani, Jonathon, Jesika, Beka, Jared, Cori, Lexi, Sara, Jason, Adam, Sydney, Shani, and Jordan. He was the great-grandfather of Gavriel and Pinchus.
Dr. Sirota was vice president of osteopathic medical affairs for Touro College and founding father of their three osteopathic medical schools. He also helped found New York College of Osteopathic Medicine.
His passion in life was his wife, family, surgery, and teaching thousands of medical students and residents. He was an ardent advocate of osteopathic medicine.
Keith R. Sisson, DO, ’43, Grand Rapids, Mich., died Aug. 11, 2011, at age 92. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Mary Jeanne Sisson; daughter Jill Sisson (Paul) Rake; son Kim R. Sisson; sister Margaret Henshaw; and sister-in -law Teresa Sisson and her two sons, Dennis and Robert. Dr. Sisson was a devoted physician to his family practice, which in some cases spanned four generations.
Memorials are suggested to the Moody Bible Institute, 820 N. LaSalle Blvd., Chicago, IL 60610.
Lyman M. Tower, DO, ’60, Traverse City, Mich., died Feb. 13, 2013 at age 85. He was born Jan. 26, 1928, in Pontiac, Mich., to the late Paul and Frieda (Meisel) Tower. He proudly served his country as a surgical technician in the U.S. Army during World War II. Dr. Tower married Ardis Joanne Schueller on Sept. 8, 1950, in Wayne, Mich. She preceded him in death on May 16, 2009, after more than 59 years of marriage.
Dr. Tower was a dedicated family physician and surgeon. He practiced in Livonia for more than 34 years and was proud to say he delivered more than 1,000 babies throughout his career.
He will be remembered as a man with a genuine, caring heart. He was deeply devoted to his family, friends, and patients. He enjoyed traveling, fishing, boating, woodworking, walking his dogs, Michigan football, and tinkering with projects around the house. He was a devoted member of Kiwanis and the Elks Lodge.
Surviving are his daughter, Lisa (Bela) Antal; his son, Erik (Rebecca) Tower and two grandchildren, Nikolas and Sabrina Floros; and numerous nieces, nephews, and furry buddies Murphy, Charlie and Molly. In addition to his wife and parents, Dr. Tower was preceded in death by three brothers, Robert S.Tower, Frederick C.Tower, and Paul S.Tower, and his niece Marie Tower.
Memorials may be made to Special Olympics Area 2 and ACT Grand Traverse (Artists Creating Together).
Robert W. Trethewey, DO, ’41, Loveland, Colo., died June 17, 2012. Known to many of his friends, family and former patients as “Doctor Bob,” he was beloved by old and young, rich and poor, and a stranger to no person.
Born in Manville, Wyo., on May 27, 1919, to William Trethewey, he attended the University of Wyoming in 1937. He was instilled with a lifelong love of learning and curiosity that fueled his many passions—medicine, hobbies, and people.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Mary Margaret “Marge” Trethewey; his brother, Jack; and his sister, Beth; in addition to his parents. He is survived by his wife, Mary Jane Trethewey; his son, Rob (Marilynn); his son, Jack (Susie); his sister-in-law, Jo Trethewey; his stepdaughter, Mardie McCreary; his stepson, Scott McCreary; his stepson, Bill (Mary) McCreary; his granddaughters, Nancy Trethewey (Dave Williams), Brooke Trethewey, Jessica (Dan) Grimm, and Shawna Trethewey; his great-grandchildren Brynn and Tate Williams, Imani McCreary, Liz McCreary, Mac McCreary, and Hilary Soderling; his local nieces and nephews Pat (Steve) Farnham, Sally (Bill) Moninger, and Burt (Jacci) Mullison, as well as numerous other nephews, a niece, and grand nieces and nephews who live across the country.
He became a DO after studying at KCOM before World War II. He also learned to fly in Kirksville. He was pursuing his internship at Wilshire Hospital in Los Angeles when the war began and enlisted in the Army Air Corp. His skill in teaching led him to officer status as a flight instructor in Tucson, Ariz., where he taught many young pilots to fly. After the war, he settled in Northern Colorado to practice medicine, for a while in Windsor and then for more than 40 years, he had an ear, eye, nose, and throat practice in Loveland.
Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church of Loveland or the Loveland Elks Lodge 1051.
Donald M. Turner, DO, ’52, Medford, Ore., died Dec. 10, 2012.
Robert C. Hubbard Jr., DO, ’56, Treasure Island, Fla., died May 15, 2013, at age 83. He was born Dec. 19, 1929, in Zelienople, Penn. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Mary; daughter Patti Mogle (Dennis) Velasco; two granddaughters Misti (Daryl) Dykens and Kym (Ron) Brosan; and three great grandchildren.
Dr. Hubbard attended Wake Forest College and received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Missouri. He received his DO from KCOM. Dr. Hubbard was associated with five St. Petersburg hospitals; Doctor’s Hospital, Northside Hospital, St. Petersburg General, Ed White, and St. Anthony’s. He was president of the Muscular Dystrophy Association (1958), chair of the Tarpon Roundup, and secretary for the West St. Petersburg Rotary Club (1960).
Dr. Hubbard was a general practice and obstetric physician beginning on 49th Street in Gulfport and later moving to Central Avenue in St. Petersburg. He retired in 2002 after 45 years in practice. He was one of the few doctors still making house calls in St. Petersburg.
He was predeceased by his parents, Ruth Frishkorn Hubbard and Robert Cal Hubbard, Sr., who is the only person in America to earn places in both the Football and Baseball Halls of Fame.
Marlene A. Wager, DO, ’72, Lewisburg, W.V., died Oct. 23, 2013. Born March 22, 1940, in Kewanee, Ill., she was the daughter of the late Leslie A. and Blanche G. Wager. She attended Moline Lutheran Hospital School for Nursing (1961), attended Augustana College (1965), and received her DO at KCOM (1972). Dr. Wager interned at Davenport Osteopathic Hospital in Davenport, Iowa (1972-73). She had a private practice in Durant, Iowa (1972-81). She was assistant and associate professor at KCOM (1981-88), as well as director of the Gerontology program.
Dr. Wager was medical director of Twin Pines Care Center in Kirksville (1981-88), associate professor in the department of family medicine, and head of geriatrics section-medical geriatrics at Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (1988-92). Dr. Wager was professor of clinical sciences at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) (1992-2007) and medical director at Greenbrier Manor (2003-13). She was an emeritus professor during her period with Robert C. Byrd Clinic in Lewisburg.
More recently, she was a clinical instructor for the osteopathic principles and practices course. She was founder of the MOSS Scholarship at WVSOM for out-of-state students. Dr. Wager is known by many in the area for her work with local nursing homes and hospice patients.
She is survived by three brothers, Russell (Neva), Wendell (Dolores), and Dwaine (Judy); four nieces and three nephews; and a longtime friend, Marilyn Stull.
Memorials may be made to MOSS Fund, Greenbrier Manor, Christ Our Savior of the Valley Lutheran Church, or HospiceCare.
Harold Fridkin died July 17, 2013, at age 86. Fridkin served as KCOM legal counsel for several years in the 1980s and 90s.
Born in Chicago, Fridkin earned his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis, Mo. While working at KCOM, he was instrumental in negotiating its lease agreement with National Medical Enterprises Inc., for the sale/lease of the Kirksville Osteopathic Health Center in 1985.
He was a principal partner in Craft & Fridkin Law Firm, which later became Craft, Fridkin, & Rhyne. He also was a longtime adviser and counselor to democrat senators, governors, and members of congress in Kansas City.
Fridkin and his wife, Louann, have five children.
Ronald M. Frost, DDS, former adjunct faculty, ASDOH, died Jan. 17, 2013, at age 78. Dr. Frost was born in Boise, Idaho, on Nov. 25, 1934, to Norman and Lucille Frost. He married Catherine “Katie” Louise Lund in the Salt Lake Temple and they are the parents of six children. Following Katie’s death in 2005, Dr. Frost married Carol Barratt Mortensen.
Dr. Frost is a graduate of Brigham Young University and Georgetown University Dental School. He had two successful dental practices, the first in Arlington, Va., and the second in Mesa, Ariz. He gave a lifetime of service to his community and as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At the age of 21, he served a full-time LDS mission in Switzerland, where he gained a love of the German language and culture. As a senior missionary he served with Katie in Chile, Florida, and Switzerland, and twice with Carol in Germany.
He is survived by his wife, Carol, and his six children, Stacey (Mark) Owens, Anne (David) Martin, Bill (Kelly) Frost, Stuart (Christina) Frost, Steven (Rhonda) Frost, and Christine (Jim) Hamberlin. He has 25 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. He is survived by his brothers, Richard and Terry Frost, and his sister, Marilyn Crandall.
Dr. Frost loved traveling, photography, and playing the piano. He was generous in his desire to help others.
Frederick J. “Jack” Julyan, PhD, Colorado Springs, Colo., died May 24, 2013, at age 86. He was fond of telling people that he was born on the day Lindberg completed the first solo trans-Atlantic flight and landed in Paris. He was born May 21, 1927, in Euclid, Ohio, the second child of his parents, Frederick George Julyan and Irene Martin Julyan, who preceded him in death; as did their first child, Mary Ellen, in her infancy; his sister, Isabelle May (Jill) Julyan Hasselbach; and her husband, James.
He is survived by his wife, Caroline A. Padrutt Julyan and four children, Candace Lynn Julyan (David Hancock); David Scott (Pamela) Julyan; Mark Frederick (Cynthia) Julyan; and F. Ernest Julyan. Also surviving in the immediate family are four grandchildren, Mark’s two sons, Travis and Seth; David’s two children, Ashley and Matthew; and two great-grandchildren, sons of Seth and his wife, Kate. Additional survivors include nieces, Mary Lou Hasselbach, Susan Hasselbach Jagoditz and their five children; and on Caroline’s side, two sisters-in-law, Rose Tietz and Ruth Wagner; two brothers-in-law, Jerome Padrutt and John Wagner; and one deceased brother-in-law, Arthur L. Padrutt; and their 12 children and their progeny.
Julyan served two years in the Army Air Corps in the 40s, then received a BA from Adelbert College, Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio. He followed a career in publishing at World Publishing Company in Cleveland and New York. During this period in his life he learned all aspects of publishing and book manufacturing, served on the editorial staff that produced the 1953 Webster’s New World Dictionary of the American Language, College Edition, and discovered among World’s unsolicited manuscripts a western novel titled “Branded,” by A.C. Abbott, which he edited and saw published in 1953. His career then changed course when he enrolled in graduate school at The Ohio State University, where he simultaneously revived the OSU Press and began study for a PhD in Zoology, receiving that degree in 1962. He began his professorial academic career teaching comparative and gross anatomy there and subsequently served as professor and chair of anatomy, first at the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and then at KCOM, from which he retired in 1992.
Francis M. “Bucky” Walter Jr., MA, BS, DOEd (Hon.), Kirksville, Mo., died Aug. 24, 2013. Walter served as dean of students at KCOM for more than 30 years. Born in Mendota, Mo., on March 5, 1922, he was the son of Lula Ann and Francis Marion Walter Sr. on August 7, 1943. He married Georgia Ann Warner; they just celebrated their 70th anniversary.
He is survived by his wife, Georgia; his daughter, Cynthia (Stephen) Willcox; his son, Gregory (Leisa)Walter; grandchildren Laura (Ty) Jacobs, Mark (Krystal) Willcox, Julia Willcox, Amy (Mark) Garr, Lydia (John) Flennory, and Sarah Perdue; and nine great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, a brother, Ralph, and sister, Ruth Dinsmore.
Walter went to public schools in Iowa and graduated from the Fremont, Iowa, High School (1940). He attended William Penn College and Northeast Missouri State Teachers College (now Truman State University) from which he received a BS (1948) and a MA in education administration (1951). He was a member of Phi Sigma Epsilon fraternity, Blue Key honorary service fraternity, student council, and the Historical Society. He did post-graduate work at the University of Northern Colorado and the University of Iowa where he was selected to membership in Phi Delta Kappa, an honorary educational fraternity.
In 1942-43, Walter served in the Army Reserve College Officer Training Program and entered active service in the T/5 HQ Battery 1st Cavalry Division Artillery. He was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.; Camp Hood, Texas; and in Japan.
Walter taught at Canton High School (Canton, Mo.), and then served as principal of Shelbyville Public Schools (Shelbyville, Mo.). In 1952 he became associated with KCOM where he served as college librarian, director of admissions, and assistant dean. In 1961 he was named dean of students and served in that capacity until his retirement in June 1986. At the time of his retirement he was granted the honorary degree, doctor of osteopathic education.
Walter served as chair of the Council of Deans of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. Among the many honors he received were the Outstanding Service Commendation from KCOM, a Special Commendation for 30 years of service, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine special Dean of Deans of Students Award, the Outstanding Service Award from the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, the Kirksville Osteopathic Alumni Association Living Tribute award, and a student scholarship was established in his name.
In civic affairs, Walter served as secretary, vice-president, and president of the Kirksville Kiwanis Club. He also served as president of the Kirksville Country Club. He was a former member of the Kirksville Jaycees, the Kirksville Area Chamber of Commerce, and the executive committee of the Adair County chapter of the American Red Cross. He served as chair of the Adair County United Fund Campaign and for several years was a member of its board of directors. He was a member of the board of directors of the local Cerebral Palsy School Board and served three years as its chair. He served 15 years on the Adair County Selective Service Board and three years as its chair.
Walter was a member of the Kirksville Masonic Lodge, El Kadir Shrine Club, Kirksville Saddle Club, and the Rebel’s Cove Historical Society. He belonged to the First Presbyterian Church, serving as a member of the board of elders, board of deacons, and as a Sunday school teacher.
Memorials may be made to the Francis M. “Bucky” Walter Scholarship at ATSU.